Types of Dental Negligence Claim
No one enjoys visiting the dentist, but when the care or treatment you receive is negligent the experience becomes even more harrowing. Dental negligence may arise from dental care or treatment offered through the NHS or privately. The dental care or treatment may have been for health or cosmetic reasons – it makes no difference.
Types of Dental Negligence Claim handled by our specialist team:
Dental negligence may occur if you have received substandard care or treatment from a dentist or other dental professional. This may include:
- Delay or failure to diagnose and/or treat tooth decay
- Delay or failure to diagnose and/or treat periodontal (gum) disease
- Delay or failure to give preventive care and/or advice
- Failure to obtain full and informed consent before carrying out dental procedures
- Unacceptable or inappropriate fillings
- Unacceptable or inappropriate crowns and bridges
- Unacceptable or inappropriate cosmetic dentistry
- Unacceptable or inappropriate root canal treatment
- Complications after a tooth extraction
- Nerve damage after the extraction of wisdom teeth
- Unacceptable or inappropriate placement of dental implants
- Delay or failure to refer for specialist review and treatment
- Delay or failure to diagnose and/or refer for treatment of mouth cancer
- Unacceptable or inappropriate orthodontic treatment
The above list covers the most common areas for dental negligence claims involving adult (permanent) teeth, but every client’s experience and concerns are different.
Every dentist, dental therapist, dental hygienist, dental specialist and dental surgeon has a duty to provide you with a reasonable standard of care and treatment. They have a duty to ensure your safety and well-being before, during and after treatment and to avoid any unnecessary pain and suffering.
In an ideal world, we want a dentist who is known and recommended by friends or family, but often this is not possible. More usually, we either find a dentist who is accepting new patients or we simply like the location or look of a dental practice. However, wherever we go, when we sit back in the dental chair, we place our total trust in the dentist that they will look after us and do their job properly.
A good dentist, dental professional, dental specialist or dental surgeon will:
- Be suitably qualified and experienced in the dental care or treatment offered.
- Explain why you need dental treatment and how you will benefit from it.
- Explain the treatment options available to you.
- Inform you of any risks associated with the dental procedures.
- Give you an opportunity to consider any treatment options and to give your consent for dental treatment.
- Provide a clear estimate and/or breakdown of the cost of the treatment (particularly for complex and/or lengthy treatment plans).
As with any medical procedure, when you visit your dentist or dental professional for a check-up or for treatment, you trust that they will carry out the correct procedures in the correct manner. However, this is not always the case and unfortunately many of people each year experience unnecessary pain and suffering and often require expensive corrective treatment as a result of dental negligence.
If your dental care or treatment was inappropriate or if you have suffered unexpected problems and complications during or after receiving dental care or treatment, your dentist or dental professional may have breached their duty of care towards you and you may be able to bring a claim for dental negligence.
To help you understand some of the dental terms and phrases used by dentists and other dental professionals, please visit Dental terminology and glossary.
How our team assists you to Claim Compensation for Dental Negligence:
If you think that you have been the victim of dental negligence, we suggest that you talk to one of our experienced dental negligence lawyers who are experts in this complex area of personal injury law. We will assess your situation and give you a clear and considered answer as to whether you may have a potential claim for dental negligence and so be entitled to claim compensation for your injury and for the cost of any corrective treatment.
If there is sufficient evidence to prove that the dental care or treatment you received fell below the standard normally expected by the dental profession, our dental negligence specialists will ensure that you receive the compensation that is due to you for your injury and the associated pain and suffering and also for any corrective treatment that you may need.
Why Choose Us?
Dental claims and dental negligence law is a very specialist area. Our experienced dental negligence lawyers have received training from a qualified dentist and so fully understand the dental terminology and dental procedures that may give rise to dental negligence claims. We also fully understand the practical problems and social embarrassments that may be caused by unwanted or unexpected changes in appearance or the ability to eat, feel, taste or swallow.
We totally understand that when dental care and treatment does not give the expected outcome, the possibility that your pain and suffering is due to dental negligence creates an additional level of frustration and misery, as well as the added inconvenience and expense of corrective treatment. Armstrong James can help you every step of the way to ensure that you receive the compensation due to you.
We have helped many people make successful dental claims and receive compensation for physical and emotional injuries, as well as financial losses caused as a result of substandard dental care or treatment.
Our specialist dental negligence solicitors are sympathetic and knowledgeable about the situation you may find yourself in. Your claim will be handled by true professionals who understand your anxieties and concerns, and have both the legal and dental expertise to help you through this difficult time. We will ensure that you get the right compensation and any corrective treatment that you may require.
We can assist with relatively minor dental claims through to complex and life changing cases.